The history of Walsingham begins in
1061, when Lady Richeldis de Faverches was at prayer. Our Lady appeared to her and asked her to
build a replica of her house at Nazareth where the Annunciation took
place. This simple Saxon house was later
enclosed in a small stone church. The Canons of St. Augustine built a Priory
close by and a much larger Priory Church.
From Saxon times people visited
Walsingham, petitions were granted, pilgrimages increased. Kings and Queens came to beg favours and
receive blessings and gradually Walsingham became the great English centre of
devotion to Our Lady. It was,
unfortunately, one of the first religious houses to fall at the
Reformation. King Henry VIII had the
statue of Our Lady of Walsingham burnt at Chelsea.
Now all that remains of the ancient
Shrine is the east window of the Priory Church.
The modern Shrine, which is the
National Shrine of Our Lady for England, is now situated in the 14th century Slipper Chapel,
which was restored to Catholic worship by Miss Charlotte Boyd, in 1897.
The site of the original Shrine lies in
the ruins of the old Priory. It is
situated to the left of the centre aisle and during our Pilgrimage the Statue
of Our Lady is placed there. Before you
return home, try to say a prayer there begging Our Lady to intercede
with her Divine Son for all UCM
intentions, especially for Peace, and the return of the Faith to England.
All pilgrimages are centred on the
Slipper Chapel, where the statue of our Lady of Walsingham is enthroned. Our Lady is
depicted in traditional style seated on a simple chair of state with the Child
Jesus on her knee. She wears a Saxon crown in token of her ancient queen-ship
and carries the lily of purity.
The Saxon crown and throne denote Mary's Queen- ship and the date of the founding of the shrine 1061.
The Arch denotes rainbow, sign of covenant between God and every living creature. (cf.Gen 9: 12f)
The lily: Three-fold lily-spectre of virginity/sovereignty.
The pillars: Pillars of the House of God.
The seven rings for the Sacraments. Mary points to Christ. Christ extends his arm in double gesture of blessing and protection of his mother.
Seat: Seat of Wisdom. Christ the Word made Flesh, holds the Gospels.
Toadstone which is the East Anglian symbol of
evil (cf. Gen. 3:15)
It is a thought-provoking statue with theological implications so typical of the Middle Ages.
The Child seems to dominate. It is not so much a statue of the Mother with the Child as a
statue of the Child with the Mother in the background. The Child holds the Book of Gospels
with one hand and with the other seems to shield his Mother from attack.
List of Intentions the Pope wants to focus on for the month of March